- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounts Payable Clerk
Companies big and small need a dedicated accounting department to track its assets and liabilities, create financial statements, and record transactions.
As the business world increasingly relies on computers, accounting clerks not only need traditional accounting skills, but savvy computer skills as well.
Bookkeepers and accounting assistant professionals often:
- Record numerical data to keep financial records complete.
- Perform routine maintenance of accounting records, financial statements, and financial reports.
- Check the accuracy of figures, calculations, and postings.
- Implement processes following organizational procedures and legal regulations.
- Communicate effectively in a professional accounting workplace environment.
Accounting clerks are employed in various organizations, including:
- Firms that provide accounting, tax preparation, bookkeeping, and payroll services
- Companies with a finance or accounting department
- Federal, state, and local governments
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were about 1.9 million accounting clerk in 2010 and about 25% only worked part-time.
With many accounting professionals retiring, it is no surprise that this career has strong growth potential in the coming years.
Plan your Education
View the classes you need to take to complete your certificate in Accounting at College of Marin.
Available Certificates and Degrees
Certificate of Achievement, Applied Accounting – 24 units
- Time to Complete: Can be done in 2 semesters.
- Estimated Cost: $1,212 in tuition and fees plus $1,200 in books and supplies.
Why College of Marin?
- Affordable: College of Marin classes are open to all and cost only $46 per unit for California residents.
- Starting here is a terrific and inexpensive way to start your career.
- Financial aid and student support services are available to those who qualify.
- Small Class Size: Most business classes have 20-30 students. This low student-to-teacher ratio allows instructors to work individually with students as needed while covering material in-depth.
- Convenient: COM has two campuses (Kentfield and Novato) and class meeting times and locations are convenient to the working student’s schedule. Evening, weekend, and online classes available for a wide range of scheduling needs.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Questions? Contact Counseling:
- (415) 485-9432
- (415) 485-9430
Business – Accounting Dept.
(415) 457-8811 x7610
Full-Time Business Faculty
- Christine Li (415) 457-8811 x7579
- Norm Pacula (415) 457-8811 x7407
- Nancy Willet (415) 457-8811 x7497
For more information about College of Marin graduation and completion rates, the median debt of students who have completed our programs, and other important gainful employment information, please visit www1.marin.edu/gainful-employment.