- A wide range of business-related and administrative positions
- Computer Sales Representative
- Help Desk Technician
- IT Technical Support
Advanced education in CIS can lead to positions such as Business Analyst, Data Analyst, and Project Manager.
A certificate or degree in Computer Information Systems (CIS) allows you to work in just about any aspect of business in virtually any industry. If a business relies on technology for its success it relies on the expertise and creativity of CIS professionals.
A certificate in CIS is best viewed as a complementary program to whatever you are doing (e.g. marketing, nursing administration) or enough to get into an entry-level business position — or an excellent start to transfer into a 4-year program.
- Continually adapt to a changing environment.
- Contribute to a team objective.
- Are very comfortable using computers applications.
- Are problem solvers.
Available Certificates and Degrees
Associate Degree, Computer Information Systems – 41 units (21 units CIS plus 20 units general education)
- Time to Complete: Can be done in 3-4 semesters.
- Microsoft Access Database – 4.5 units
- Microsoft Access Database Specialist – 6 units
Why College of Marin?
- Microsoft Office: COM emphasizes MS Office in its CIS programming, which is the industry standard for businesses.
- Affordable and Accessible: College of Marin prepares students for high-wage and high-demand careers at a fraction of the cost of private programs. Classes are open to all and cost only $46 per unit for California residents. Financial aid and student support services are available to those who qualify.
- High-Quality Instruction for High Wage Industries:Our graduates enter the workforce having the ability to be innovative, critical thinkers and with the comprehensive work skills needed to be connected directly to real-world needs. Our instructors are highly experienced industry professionals who are recognized as experts in their respective fields and who understand their industry’s needs and trends.
- Small Class Size: Most classes have 10-22 students. This low student-to-teacher ratio allows instructors to work individually with students as needed while covering material in-depth.
- Location & Scheduling Convenience: COM has two campuses in Kentfield and Novato. Evening, weekend, and online classes are available for a wide range of scheduling needs, with the ability to earn your certificate online.
- Microsoft Certification: Ability to earn Microsoft Office Specialist certification via exam.
The Computer Information Systems curriculum is designed to provide education for computer-related careers, professional advancement, and transfer preparation.
Courses provide “hands-on” computer use that emphasizes the development of the skills necessary for employment and personal use of computers.
Program specialties include desktop and network support, desktop publishing, microcomputer manager, and microcomputer programmer.
READY TO GET STARTED?
- Enroll Now at marin.edu
- Questions: Contact Counseling
- (415) 485-9432
- (415) 485-9430
Computer Information Systems Dept.
A Joe Ritchie (415) 457-8111 x7598
DID YOU KNOW?
Students who successfully complete the coursework in an MS Office application will have the opportunity to take the corresponding MS Office Specialist certification exam for FREE.
For more information about College of Marin graduation and completion rates, the median debt of students who have completed our programs, and other important gainful employment information, please visit www1.marin.edu/gainful-employment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does it take to earn the certificate?
You can complete the Certificate of Achievement in as little as 2 semesters.
Skills Certificates can be completed in 1-2 semesters.
Are there any pre-requisites?
No, there are no requirements or prerequisites. However, good working English is essential.
Can I take classes in the evening?
Yes, classes are available in the evenings, great for working students!
If I study CIS, what kind of job will I get?
A wide range of job options are available, since this prepares you for the MS Suite, it prepares you for a job in a business setting. Office skills are fundamental in most jobs and growing job opportunities! Studying Computer Information Systems (CIS) will leverage your future opportunities.
How do I get started?
To get started, you need to enroll at College of Marin and should meet with a career counselor (who can help you with planning your education, direct you to financial alternatives, and more!)