- Graphic Designer
- UI Designer
- UX Designer
- Visual Designer
The demand for digital artists is expected to follow the growth of the Internet. In addition, businesses will continue to want visually appealing ideas for their products, publications, and videos.
Digital artists are also involved in the creation of multimedia projects. They are involved in video production, animation, interactive installations, software design, and more.
- Create logos, ads, brochures, layouts, and other designs.
- Create art prints, videos, or interactive installations for galleries and museums.
- Create animation and motion graphics.
- Manipulate and retouch digital photographs.
- Design interactive graphics and data visualizations.
- Design graphical user interfaces.
Plan your Education
View the classes you need to take to complete your certificate or degree in Multimedia Studies, Design at College of Marin.
Available Certificates and Degrees
Certificate of Achievement, Multimedia Studies, Design Specialty – 27.5 units
- Time to Complete: Can be done in 4 semesters.
- Estimated Cost: $1,481 in tuition and fees plus $100 in books & supplies.
Associate Degree, Multimedia Studies, Design Specialty – 46.5+ units
- Time to Complete: Can be done in 4-5 semesters.
- Estimated Cost: $2,409 in tuition and fees plus $100 in books & supplies.
Why College of Marin?
COM is the place to get your career started fast. You can finish the certificate in 3 semesters — and many students have jobs before they even finish the program!
- State-of-the-art Facilities: COM has amazing facilities, with a beautiful new $2m building fitted out with new huge 32” monitors iMacs, doubling with Windows or Mac and fast Wi-Fi. You’ll also learn the most current versions of software.
- Real-world, Project-based Learning: The classes are project-based, leading you to finish work that will become part of your portfolio, key to your future career. COM’s program also includes an internship, which is the key to successful transition into the workplace. An internship builds your real-world experience, making you more employable.
- Affordable and Accessible: College of Marin classes are open to all and cost only $46 per unit for California residents. Financial aid and student support services are available to those who qualify. Class meeting times and locations are convenient to the working student’s schedule.
- Small Class Size: Most classes have 10-22 students. This low student-to-teacher ratio allows instructors to work individually with students as needed while covering material in-depth.
- Location & Scheduling Convenience: COM has two campuses in Kentfield and Novato. Evening, weekend, and online classes are available for a wide range of scheduling needs.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Questions: Contact Counseling
- (415) 485-9432
- (415) 485-9430
Multimedia Studies Dept.
- James Gonzalez x8250
- Derek Wilson x8255
- Jeff Abouaf
- James Helmer
Multimedia Studies Advisory Committee
Luisa Ayala, Entropic Design Studios, San Rafael | Ryan Bond, Game Producer | Julian Hoover, Owner/Principal, Bright House Media | John Macleod, Managing Director at Marinovation Learning Center Makerspace | Grant Rogers, Producer at Disruptive Games | Jena Scholten, Operations Efficiency and Internal Graphic Design, Bay Photo Lab | Todd Walker, CEO, Entropic Design Studios, San Rafael | Bobbi Wilson, Worldwide Print Marketing, HP, Inc.
For more information about College of Marin graduation and completion rates, the median debt of students who have completed our programs, and other important gainful employment information, please visit www1.marin.edu/gainful-employment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does it take to earn the certificate?
You can complete the Certificate of Achievement in 4 semesters. An Associate Degree (A.S.) typically takes two years.
Are there any pre-requisites?
Yes. There are advised prerequisites for courses that follow the introduction level. Advanced courses have the preceding course as prerequisites.
What software do I need to buy?
None specifically, all software can be used at the college. Trial or free academic versions may be used at home. That said, depending on your specific interests, it can be helpful to budget up to $400 for software.
Can I take classes in the evening or online?
You have plenty of online learning options – some course have online options to take classes at the time that is right for you.
Do I need to buy a computer?
You may use the computers at school in the classroom or the open labs. It is convenient to have a current computer to work on from home.
Will I have flexibility with my work as a Graphic Designer?
How do I get started?
To get started, you need to enroll at College of Marin and should meet with a career counselor (who can help you with planning your education, direct you to financial alternatives, and more!)